Address Changes

To change your address on the payroll system you need to go to or send the new address in writing, such as a letter, fax or e-mail, to Human Resources, Heston Hall. This includes your campus, local, and permanent addresses. HR will enter it according to postal standards into the Banner system, which will update it in the campus directory on the SNAP portal.

South Dakota Retirement System requires a special form to be completed. The HR Office will send it to you.

CSA Salary Ranges

Direct Deposit

Direct Deposit is required of any DSU employee, including student labor, and is also available to work study. You will have your paycheck automatically deposited in your checking or savings account on payday. Read more...

FICA Taxation of Students

Under current IRS Tax Code, students who are degree candidates and who are "enrolled and regularly attending" courses are exempt from FICA withholding on wages paid for university employment which is incident to and for the purpose of pursuing a course of study. The IRS has indicated that registration must clearly demonstrate that student status is primary and employment status is secondary, and that universities must have policies for deciding when to exempt student employees from FICA. Accordingly, students who are classified by the Dakota State University as being at least half time will be exempt from FICA if eligibility for the employment requires student status. Read more...

Nonresident Alien (NRA) - Tax Compliance

The passage of the Tax Reform Act of 1986 imposed certain withholding and reporting obligations on institutions making compensation and scholarship/fellowship payments to non-United States citizens. It is the responsibility of the Payroll Office to collect the necessary information to allow for the appropriate tax treatment.

An NRA employee may be exempt from certain taxes based upon a tax treaty between the U.S. and the employee's country. It is our intent to allow exemptions based upon tax treaties whenever possible provided the employee files the necessary information with the Payroll Office annually.

Payroll Deductions

Mandatory Deductions: Social Security, Federal Income Tax, SD Retirement

Elective Deductions: Supplemental Life Insurance, Dependent Life Insurance, SD Retirement Spouse Option, Dependent Health Insurance (Read more...)

Payroll Pay Periods


Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate, W-4

In order for DSU to withhold the correct amount of federal income tax from an employee's pay, and before the University is able to pay, an employee is required to complete a Form W-4.

The completed Form W-4 should be submitted for processing along with the other required forms for new hires within three days of the date the person begins employment. Read more...

Last Updated: 8/11/14