Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing
Do you get along with everyone in school from the athletes to the artistic types? Around town, little kids look up to you, and senior citizens light up when you walk in. If you're able to communicate with people—all sorts of people—then a job in Marketing is your perfect fit.
Marketing is an act of communication, pure and simple. You get your message out through people, computers, images, text, audio, and by any other means the mind can conjure. But the business of marketing involves still more, especially management. With this major, you'll plan, coordinate, direct, and, simply do advertising and promotional campaigns of every variety. You will learn how to talk to your clients, how to write for a target age group, how to speak with only images, and how to motivate employees.
DSU's BBA in Marketing equips you for every aspect of marketing, from research to development, strategy, budget, and design. And your ability to communicate to every sort of person ties all these skills together. By the time you graduate, you'll be able to sell iPhones to the Morse-code generation, tricycle-insurance for toddlers, and a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves.
This program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs. (ACBSP)
Possible Job Titles
- Account Executive
- Advertising Manager
- Sales Representative/Director
- Marketing/Advertising Services Manager
- Product/Brand Manager
- Marketing Communications
Good - Marketing listed in the top ten majors most in demand according to the national Association of Colleges and Employers.
Benefits of a DSU Degree?
Not only does DSU offer solid coursework in marketing, we also integrate existing and new technology into our courses. This prepares you for careers with companies that incorporate the latest marketing techniques and technologies. Examples include marketing with iPods, cell phones and of course via the internet as well as other traditional approaches.
- Class size/personal attention (Faculty-Student ratio):
- Upper level marketing classes tend to have less than 20 students per class.
- Cool facts or interesting things about this major:
- At DSU, we encourage our marketing majors to combine the creative aspect of marketing with solid business processes. The marketing major at DSU will develop marketing plans, create promotional campaigns for actual businesses, make real-life sales calls for local businesses, critique web sites and work with other students on a variety of creative projects.
- Faculty's unique experiences or certifications in this major:
- 20 years of industry experience in Product Management and International Marketing.
- PhD and dissertation work focused on emerging technologies and e-commerce.
- Integrated Technology:
- Customer Relationship Management Software
- Sales Contact software
- Project Management applications
- Web development and analytical software
- Database management and evaluation tools
- What type of special opportunities can students take part in?
- Actual local business-case studies are incorporated into each marketing course, providing hands on exposure to real-time marketing issues. In addition, internships are encouraged during the junior year to provide even more experience. Past opportunities include marketing internships with Sioux Falls and Minneapolis sports teams, marketing intern with the Sioux Falls Jazz Society, Sales associate with Daktronics, as well as marketing coordinators with a variety of creative projects.