Dakota State University Gala to be held Feb. 9
“Together, we are Rising,” is the theme for the 2018 Dakota State University Gala, being held on February 9 at the Best Western Ramkota in Sioux Falls. Over the past 30 years, the Gala has become the premier scholarship fundraising event for DSU. This year’s theme demonstrates the positive benefits which can result by bringing together DSU supporters from the Madison area and the large alumni base in the Sioux Falls area.
DSU is providing free transportation for guests traveling from Madison. The bus will depart from the DSU Foundation (325 NE 2nd Street) at 4:30 p.m. on February 9, and return to the same location after the event. The Foundation is sponsoring some additional activities for those riding the bus, including a pre-party at the Foundation, and special activities and door prizes during the ride to Sioux Falls.
The semi-formal event includes dinner, entertainment, and live and silent auction items. Some of the live auction items include:
- a family getaway to Florida including a 4-day/3-night stay at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort, and four, one-day hopper passes to Walt Disney World
- a weekend getaway for four at Terry Peak Snow Sports Resort near Lead, S.D., including ‘buy 1, get 1 free’ ski lift tickets
- a package at Sutton Bay (a golf resort on Lake Oahe north of Pierre), including one night’s lodging for two couples or four individuals, two rounds of golf and a cart, food and beverage
- a 5-day/4-night getaway at the Wyndham Sedona Resort in Sedona, Arizona
- a handcrafted high-top table with a laser cut Trojan design
Entertainment will be provided by The Capitol Steps, a Washington D.C.-based comedy troupe. They began in 1981 as a group of Senate staffers who set out to satirize the very people and places who employed them. Almost 40 years later, they are still “the group that puts the ‘MOCK’ in Democracy!”
The group has been featured on NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS, and can be heard twice a year on National Public Radio stations nationwide during their “Politics Takes a Holiday” radio specials. They have recorded over 30 albums to date, including their latest, “Orange Is the New Barack.” A sample of their work can be heard at http://www.capsteps.com/sounds/Radio-livepromo-1709-generic30.mp3.
The Gala is open to the public, and tickets are available online at dsu.edu/gala; more information is available by calling 605-256-5693 or emailing email@example.com. The Ramkota is located at 3200 West Maple Street in Sioux Falls; a block of rooms has been reserved at the hotel for the Gala.