Room Furnishings Policy
The residence hall staff is counting on you to adhere to the following policies:
A FORM OF FUN-TAC, POSTER PUTTY OR POSTER TAPE (Scotch removable adhesive putty, Scotch removable poster tape, etc.) IS PREFERRED TO HANG POSTERS, ETC. IN YOUR ROOM. The DSU Bookstore has these supplies on hand. The use of duct tape, cellophane tape, nails, screws, tacks, hooks, or pins is prohibited.
Carpet tape is also not allowed for securing carpet to the floor.
Residence hall rooms cannot be painted.
No multiple head extension cords are allowed. UL approved power strips which contain 15 amp or less circuit breakers are allowed. Please attempt to minimize the number of power strips.
ADDITIONAL ITEMS PROHIBITED FROM THE ROOM:
- firearms, air guns or other dangerous weapons
- explosives (including fireworks and ammunition) or flammable liquids (including most cleaning fluids)
- metal tipped darts
- electric heaters, hotplates, toaster ovens, or other electric devices with exposed heating surfaces
- air conditioners
- candles or incense
- use of decorations, including live Christmas trees and outdoor Christmas tree lights, which present a fire hazard
- extending electric cords, radio or television antennas or other devices outside windows
- animals of any kind
- water beds
- contact paper
- microwaves larger than 750 watts
- halogen lamps without screens
- glow in the dark ceiling mount stars
- refrigerators larger than 6.2 cubic feet
- homemade lofts or any other loft not furnished by Dakota State University
- foam or rubber back carpet (emits toxic fumes if exposed to fire)
- no items of any kind can be attached to the ceilings in a residence hall room