Rules are the same as for college play with the following exceptions:
- Each team will have a minimum of 2 women on the floor at all times.
- Each team must have all 5 players on the court at the start of their game.
- The length of playing time will be divided into two 18 minute halves.
- The clock will stop on dead balls and fouls the last two minutes of the second half.
- The halftime break is two minutes.
- Once started, the clock will run continuously until the end of the half.
- Each team will have one time out per game.
- Substitution can only occur during a dead ball period.
- Overtime games will be decided by playing an extra period of two minutes. The team ahead at the end of this period wins. If the game is still tied, a sudden death period will be started immediately and the team scoring first either by free throw or field goal will be the winner.
- Once the official places the ball at the free throw line, the shooter has ten seconds to take the ball and to complete the shot. If the player fails to step to the line and shoot the ball in the allotted time, the ball will be awarded to the opposing team at the sideline and opposite from the free throw stripe.
- A ball not inbounded within five seconds is turned over to the other team. A player stepping over the restraining line to inbound the ball will also turn the ball over to the other team.
- Bonus free throws will be shot on the 7th team foul of each half. Double bonus will be awarded on the 10th team foul.
- Any fouls involving excessive force, the undercut of a player or other acts that is determined by the official will result in two free throws for the offended player plus his/her team will retain the ball at mid- court.
- Non-shooting fouls will be taken out of bounds nearest the point of the foul.
- When a technical foul is called on a player, he/she will be ejected for the remaining of the game and must leave the gym immediately. The technical will also be reported in the Intramural Sports Department. A second technical will result in a 1 game suspension. A third technical will result in suspension from the league for the remainder of the season.
- A basket by a male or female is worth the usual point values (2 or 3 points).
Coed Rules Playing Rules
- No women may be double teamed. A woman may be doubled teamed by a man and a woman.
- Men may not leave their feet to block a woman's shot. They may stand and block it, but cannot leave their feet. Violation of this will be basket interference and the basket will be awarded to the shooter.
- Men are not allowed to drive inside the lane (below the free throw line) on a female defender. If the male drives around his defender and a female comes over to guard him, the male must be able to drive around the female as well or stop forward motion towards the basket.
- A basket by a male is worth the usual point values (2 or 3 points). A 2-point field goal made by a female is worth 3 points and a 3-point shot is worth 4 points. At the free throw line, if a woman is fouled on a shot, they get 3 or 4 free throws depending on where their shot attempt was from.
- Players may only play with one team. If he/she plays for a team and is not signed up, he/she will be declared ineligible for further basketball competition and face disciplinary action. All games played prior to this time will be forfeited. If found playing later, the team on which he/she is playing will forfeit the game and face further disciplinary sanctions from the Intramural Director.
- If staff is unavailable each team must select someone to assist with the scoring during the game. There must be a scorekeeper from each team at the score sheet throughout the entire game.
- Changes in the roster can be made up to the beginning of the first game. Additions and deletions to the original roster after the first game may be made only with permission of the Intramural Director (i.e. injuries).
Authority of Officials
Officials hold all right to make calls as they see fit. The only players that reserve the right to talk to officials during a dead ball are the captains of the teams, and only to discuss a rule not a judgment call. All players must treat any official with respect and decent manner.