Title III at DSU
The following academic support options are funded through a Title III grant from the U.S. Department of Education.
What is Title III?
In 2016, the University received a grant from the DoE as a part of their Strengthening Institutions (Title III) program. The following programs are a part of the new Academic Support department at DSU.
- Increase academic success in high-risk gateway and major’s courses (defined as courses having success rates of less than 75%; success rates = C or higher)
- Increase student timely degree completion with individualized support resources. Low degree completion with 150% of time compared to peers (Baseline = 41%; Goal = 55%)
- Reduce loss of enrollment revenue by retaining more students to the second year. Low first year to second year retention compared to peers (Baseline = 64.9%; Goal = 75%)
- Individualized Student Coaching provided by professional advisors & student peer coaches;
- Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions for high-risk gateway and majors courses;
- Expanded Learning Assistance in the DSU Writing Center to support writing, reading and reasoning skills for all undergraduate students
For more information, contact:
Sessions are held in the SI Interactive Conference Room in the Learning Engagement Center (LEC).
- Math 201 D01 Discrete Math
- MATH 102 SO2 College Algebra
- BIOL 151 S01 General Biology and Lab
Fall 2018 Schedules
MATH 201 DO1 Discrete Math
All sessions held in the LEC SI Classroom
- Tuesday 6 p.m.
- Wednesday 12 p.m.
- Wednesday 6 p.m.
MATH 102 S02 College Algebra
All SI Sessions held in the LEC SI Classroom
- Sunday 7 p.m.
- Friday 12 p.m.
- Friday 1 p.m.
Biol 151 S01 General Biology
SI sessions on Tuesday and Thursday are held in the LEC SI Classroom
- Tuesday 9 a.m.
- Thursday 7 p.m.
- Sunday 7 p.m.
** Sunday SI is online in Google Hangouts
Schedules are developed based on a survey of student availability in the first week of classes.More information will be posted in early September.Until then, please email kristen.Uilk@dsu.edu for academic assistance.
Writing Center Fall 2018 Schedule
On-campus Location: Beadle Hall 112; Distance students: gain access by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Walk-In Appointments (available on a first-come, first-serve basis)
- Monday 3:00 p.m.- 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday 10:00 a.m.- 11:00 a.m.
- Thursday: 4:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Scheduled Appointments (students will use Starfish to make a 1:1 appointment)
- Sunday 6:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m.
- Monday 11:00 a.m.- 1:00 p.m.; 3:00 p.m.- 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday 9:00 a.m.- 11:00 a.m.; 3:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.; 2:30 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday 10:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.; 1:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.
- Friday 11:00 a.m.- 1:00 p.m.; 2:30 p.m.- 4:30 p.m.
- assignment wanting help with printed or on your tablet
- the rubric or guidelines for the assignment
Questions? Contact email@example.com