With DSU’s Exercise Science degree (offered on campus), you can work in the fitness and wellness industry. You might use a computer to analyze an athlete's motion, or help an injured child take her first, teetering steps on her new legs. Either way, you'll use your knowledge of physiology and kinesiology to help people.
Benefits of studying exercise science at DSU
Our exercise science degree is flexible and interdisciplinary. A strong science core stands at the center of the program, but the rest is up to you. You'll craft an education that best meets your individual career goals. Common pathways include corporate and private fitness, community and hospital-based wellness and rehabilitation programs, or graduate studies. Our program will prepare you for all of them.
You'll also learn essential business skills. You'll generate correspondence, prepare budgets, develop brochures, and other tasks necessary for your career. You'll also have access to specialized technology in the human performance lab including:
- Dartfish® motion analysis software to determine biomechanical and kinesiological efficiency
- SRM Training System® (bicycle ergometer) to conduct the Wingate Test for Anaerobic Power.
- A LIDO® isokinetic machine to test strength in a variety of muscle groups.
- Blood pressure cuffs and stethoscopes used in measuring blood pressures.
- ParvoMedics® 2400 metabolic system (gas analysis system) to collect expired air from a subject on a treadmill
- Tensometers and dynamometers for measuring strength in selected muscle groups
Possible job titles
- Personal Trainer
- Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- Fitness Facility Administrator
- Youth Recreation Director
See what classes you’ll be taking with our plan of study.
You can always contact us with any questions—or just to talk about what is possible.
"My favorite part about DSU is receiving a quality education and gaining the technical and professional skills needed beyond the degree."Sara Irvine
Hometown: Tea, SD
Major: Exercise Science