Admissions FAQs

You have questions. We have answers.

Somewhere between figuring out whether DSU is right for you and getting accepted into the program of your dreams, you’re bound to have a couple questions. 

Or if you’re not even sure what questions to ask, this can be a great place to start.

If you don’t see your specific question here, that’s okay. Just contact us or give us a call at 1-888-378-9988 and we’ll happily give you the info you need.

What are the admission requirements?

Your admission requirements will depend on whether you’re looking to get a bachelor’s or associate degree, whether you’re being admitted on probation, a transfer student, an international student, or a veteran. So be sure to check out the admission requirements that best fit your personal situation.

When is the application deadline?

We don’t have a deadline for the application (unless you are an international student). However, we don’t recommend waiting until a few days before the semester starts to apply, since we need time to receive required documents for the acceptance process.

How long does it usually take to receive an acceptance response?

It varies, depending on when ACTs, transcripts, etc. arrive. But typically, you should receive a response within 2-3 weeks. If it’s taking longer, we may not have all the documents we need to accept you. You may want to follow up with us at that time.

I've been accepted! Now what?

Congrats! You should have received a letter with housing, meal plan, and immunization forms. Go ahead and fill those out, and send them back to us at your earliest convenience.

You’ll also want to fill out the FAFSA after January 1 if you haven’t already done so. You can also apply for various DSU scholarships.

As the semester gets closer, you’ll receive instructions on registration in the mail. Check out our main Admissions page for a full checklist (PDF) on everything you’ll need to do.

When do I register for classes?

Registration dates are set annually. Accepted students will be sent invitations to register when the registration sessions open.

What if I took an AP class or college course as a high school student?

If you completed an AP class and took the AP exam, you’ll need to provide a copy of your AP score. There is a minimum acceptable score needed to obtain credit for the course. You can find this in our Undergraduate Catalog.

If you took a college course, please send the transcript directly from the college to us once you complete the course. Our address is:

    DSU Admission
    820 N Washington Ave
    Madison, SD 57042

Do I need to take any placement tests?

You will be placed into your initial english, math and reading courses based on your ACT scores or SAT I sub-scores. If you have not completed the ACT or SAT within the past 5 years or if you wish to challenge your course placement, our Testing Services area will be happy to assist you.

Learn More

I'm a transfer student. Can I have my credits evaluated for transfer?

Yes—transfer students can have an official evaluation completed once they have applied for admission. Unofficial reviews may be requested prior to application, but are subject to change.

What are the immunization requirements?

We require all students to have two doses of the MMR vaccine. Meningitis is recommended, but not required.

How do I pay my bill for tuition and fees?

You’ll be notified via your DSU email account once bills are posted. You may then access SDePay via WebAdvisor to pay your bill. Your login for this system will be set up during the registration process.

Can I bring my own computer while I am still participating in the Laptop Program?

Yes! You can bring your own laptop, desktop, Xbox, PS3, Wii or any other electronic device to campus. You can also use our wireless Internet to use any of these devices.

Are students required to participate in the Laptop Program at DSU?

Yes. All incoming students who are between 0-59 credits must participate in DSU’s Laptop Program

Students are welcome to opt out of our laptop program once they have completed the 59 credits required. To make that happen, you’ll just need to fill out an opt-out form each semester.

If you do decide to bring your own laptop, you’ll still need to pay a small technology fee that includes campus network access and basic troubleshooting from the support desk.

Is there an application form to fill out for the Champion Scholarship?

If you are a freshman, you don’t have to fill out an application form for any of the Champion Scholarships. We award those automatically based on your ACT and final high school GPA.

If you’re a transfer student, then you will need to fill out the Transfer Champion Application Form.

I received information from a company saying they can fill out my financial aid for a fee. Should I pay them to do it?

NO! You should never have to pay to get your FAFSA form filled out. It is free to complete yourself. Check out our Financial Aid page for more information on how to do it right.

What is this FYRE thing you keep talking about?

FYRE is our First-Year Residence Experience program. We created it to help you successfully transition from high school into college life, and it’s pretty fun.

Do I have to live in the residence halls?

Yes, you are required to live on-campus in the residence halls the first two years after you graduate high school.

If your parents or legal guardians live within 75 miles of campus, then you can choose to live with them. This does not include staying with a grandparent, aunt, uncle, sibling, etc. There can also be exemptions made for medical issues and financial hardship, so please contact us with any specific questions.

What are the meal plan requirements?

All students are required to have a meal plan for their first two years after graduating from high school. However, we try to offer a wide variety of options to suit any student.

How many students live on-campus?

We have around 600 students living in our residence halls on-campus. DSU has approximately 1,300 students attending classes on the main campus and around 3,100 total students.

What if I need services to assist with ADA Accommodations?

We fully realize that some students learn in different ways, and we make sure every student has the opportunity to learn at DSU. We provide these opportunities while respecting each student’s privacy. Learn more about our ADA accommodations.

If I need a tutor, do I have to pay for one?

No! We have in-person and online tutoring available for free. We also have other student development resources, such as student success assistance, personal counseling, and drug and alcohol counseling available to all students for free.