The list below is some of the information you will want to look over after registration. Some of it may be a review if you attended a registration day, but we want to be sure you have everything you need.
If you still have some questions, please be sure to contact Admissions or the appropriate department for your question.
Financial Aid Award Letter
- Apply for federal financial aid by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Your financial aid award letter will arrive in the mail and will include:
- Award letter
- Financial Aid Award Guide
- Steps to Complete Financial Aid Award
- Read the award letter carefully and accept or reject each type of aid awarded. Return completed award letter to the financial aid office.
- Eligibility for financial aid varies by family income and assets and so what you have been awarded may not cover the balance due. Consider additional financing options outlined in the Financial Aid Award Guide (PDF).
Financial Aid Disbursement
- Federal financial aid, DSU Foundation scholarship funds, and state scholarship funds will be disbursed to your account electronically at the beginning of each semester.
- The disbursement of private scholarship funds or outside grants is controlled by the donor or outside agency. Students may request a temporary deferral of payment of these funds to the student account if the award is documented.
- If you have applied to more than one public university in South Dakota, you will need to decide from which university you will enroll and receive your degree.
- You will be sent a notice via your DSU email account requesting that you commit to one university.
- Commitment is required for financial aid to be applied to your tuition and fee charges.
DSU Office of Finanical Aid
- Pay your tuition and fee statement via SDePay (access WebAdvisor through the MyDSU portal):
- Real-time balances and detailed transactions
- You may set-up a parent, guardian, or spouse as an authorized user
- You may set-up direct deposit for refunds
- Check your DSU email account regularly for updates and announcements
- Payment deadline for Fall 2019 is Friday, Sept. 6
- Statements will be posted by early August
- FACTS (PDF) – University-approved payment plan
- Remember that changes to enrollment (adding or dropping classes, for instance) will result in changes to your billing statement. Check your statement regularly.
- Attendance Confirmation is required of ALL students (this is not the same as the Commitment Process for financial aid disbursement) and takes place at the beginning of EACH semester. You will be notified to confirm attendance via your DSU email account.
DSU Cashier Office
Roommate assignments will be delivered to your DSU email account.
- You may request a specific roommate but it must be a mutual request by both people.
- Contact your roommate to make that first connection and to coordinate room furnishings.
- What to Bring/What Not to Bring List
Residence Hall Move-In
- Move-in Day for new students for Fall 2019 is Friday, August 23.
- All new freshmen and transfers will report on this day.
- Report to your assigned residence hall.
- Volunteers and signage will direct you to unloading zones upon your arrival and will assist with unloading and moving of items to your room.
- You will receive your University ID Card, room key, parking pass, and mailbox with combination at the hall check-in table.
- Refreshments will be available.
DSU Residence Life
University ID Card uses:
- Access to residence halls, the Marketplace (DSU Dining Plan), the Mundt Library, the Community Center, and a variety of student activities and events.
- Trojan Gold – Make purchases at both on and off-campus vendors through the stored value Trojan Gold Program.
- Online eAccount – Manage account, add funds, or freeze your account if card is lost or stolen.
DSU Card Services
Your DSU Meal Plan includes:
- Residential dining in the Marketplace – All You Care to Eat
- Meal Plan Flex – Einstein Bros. Bagels, C-Store, vending and concession stands in addition to the Marketplace
Meal Plan access/funding is non-transferrable from semester to semester.
Meal Plan Flex funds are transferrable from the fall to spring semesters but not from year to year.
DSU Card Services
Student insurance is strongly recommended. You are and will be responsible for the total cost of your healthcare per South Dakota Law.
DSU contracts with the Madison Community Hospital for some limited healthcare. This DOES NOT replace insurance.
- Three diagnostic visits per semester:
- Includes Urgent Care
- Minor illnesses, injuries, and allergy shots
- Student insurance will be billed first
- One emergency room visit per semester:
- Must be deemed “medically necessary” by the attending physician
- If not of an emergent nature, the student will be billed
- Student insurance will be billed first, then the basic ER charge will be credited
DSU Student Affairs
- Computers will be available on move-in day.
- Technology Fee of $390 per semester will be added to your account and pays for:
- Wireless infrastructure, specialized computer labs
- Servers, bandwidth
- Software licensing
- DSU Support Desk and servicing
- Bring your own padded carrying case (backpack or other type of bag) and some type of file storage/back-up device (USB HD and flash drives, external hard drives).
DSU Support Desk
- Dual credit is accepted from all public universities in South Dakota and from a limited number of other colleges in the state and the surrounding region.
- Communicate with your advisor about any dual credit courses you have completed or are currently taking.
- Request that official transcripts from those college be sent to DSU in order for credits to be recorded on your DSU transcript (not necessary to request from other public universities in South Dakota as we will have access to that information).
- Send your AP score results to DSU in order to receive college credit.
- Credit by Examination (CLEP):
- CLEP exams may earn you college credit for a particular course if you achieve the minimum required score. CLEP exams are administered at DSU.
- Departmental Credit by Examination may be available for those subjects not covered by alternative methods.
DSU Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Assessment (Testing Services)
We like to celebrate our students' accomplishments by sharing news such as honors lists, induction into honor societies, graduation and other events with your hometown newspaper. To help us better communicate the news with your family's favorite paper, we would appreciate if you could provide the info by clicking the link below.
We would also like your parent/guardian information, to keep them informed on the latest DSU news and happenings through newsletters and emails. We will not use parent/guardian information in public news releases, these are for our own records.
DSU Marketing & Communications