Congratulations! You will soon achieve a milestone in your life when you graduate from Dakota State University at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 4, at the DSU Fieldhouse. The following information is provided to ensure that you and your family have an enjoyable day.
ALL students completing degrees in spring/summer must complete this survey by March 22. Please complete the survey, even if you don’t plan to attend the ceremony.
If your situation has changed and you do not plan to graduate this spring/summer semester, please email the DSU’s Registrar Office by March 22.
Regalia is ordered through the Trojan Zone at this link: http://www.cbgrad.com/school/DAKSU. The last
day to order your regalia is Monday, April 22, 2019.
- Associate’s Apparel Unit includes: black cap, gown, tassel, year tab
- Bachelor’s Apparel Unit includes: black cap, gown, tassel, year tab
- Master’s Apparel Unit includes: black cap, Master sleeve gown, Master hood (required), year tab
- A hood is required to participate in the master’s hooding ceremony at the Dakota Prairie Playhouse.
- There is not a Rental Regalia option for Master Students.
- Doctoral Apparel Unit includes: black cap, gown with velvet chevrons, tassel, hood (required),year tab
- A hood is required to participate in the doctorate hooding ceremony at commencement.
- Rental Regalia is available for Doctorate Students through the Trojan Zone. The deadline to order is Thursday, March 14.
- Custom Doctorate Regalia is available through the Trojan Zone. The deadline to order is Thursday, March 14.
- Legacy Cords. Do you have a family member who is a DSU Alumni? Please complete this section of the survey so you can be recognized at commencement. For more information about this new tradition, please contact the DSU Alumni Office.
- International Stoles. Please contact the International Programs Office for more information.
- Due to the large number of graduates, guests will be required to present their tickets to the ushers at the DSU Fieldhouse and Dakota Prairie Playhouse Auditorium where guests can view a live streaming of the commencement ceremony. There is no assigned seating for family and guests.
- Special Accommodation Seating. Tickets are required for floor seating which are available for family or friends who are unable to sit in the bleachers. To request floor seating tickets or to notify us of special needs (wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, canes, vision or hearing impairment, etc.) that we need to accommodate in our planning, please complete the survey referenced above as soon as possible.
- Questions? Please contact email@example.com or phone (605) 256-5666.
A commencement rehearsal will be held on Friday, May 3, at 4:15 p.m. at the DSU Fieldhouse. You are encouraged to attend this practice session so you will be familiar with:
- the location where graduates meet,
- the line of march,
- and the procedures for the ceremony.
For the benefit of our master’s and doctoral graduates, we will also quickly walk through the hooding procedure.
A hooding ceremony to honor our master’s graduates will be held at the Dakota Prairie Playhouse Convention Center at 9:00 a.m.
- All master’s graduates attending commencement will also participate in the hooding ceremony.
- Graduates, please arrive at the Dakota Prairie Playhouse dressed in your regalia by 8:30 a.m.
The commencement march will begin promptly at 10:30 a.m. and the Fieldhouse doors will open at 9:30 a.m. to allow guests to be seated. The ceremony will last approximately 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Graduates, please arrive at the Madison Community Center (MCC) double gym dressed in your regalia by 9:45 a.m. All graduates and guests must enter through the main Fieldhouse doors. Entrance is not permitted through the MCC doors.
- Please do not leave purses or anything of value in the Madison Community Center double gym. It will not be staffed during the ceremony. DSU/MCC is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
A professional photographer will take photos of each graduate. Photos may be purchased directly from the Lifetouch Special Events. Guests may take their own photographs during the ceremony, but must remain outside of the candidate seating area, in order to ensure an enjoyable ceremony for all candidates. Guests will have time after the ceremony to take personal photographs on the stage, near the commencement flags and other spots within and around the DSU Fieldhouse.
The Graduates’ Reception will be held at the Dakota Prairie Playhouse Convention Center immediately following the commencement ceremony. This reception is intended to provide an opportunity for you to relax and visit with family, classmates, and DSU faculty/staff while enjoying cake and punch.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parking is available along Washington Avenue, in the lot north of the Dakota Prairie Playhouse and in the gravel lot directly west of the Fieldhouse.
The nearest airport is the Sioux Falls Regional Airport (FSD) located 50 miles from DSU. We have two hotels in Madison:
AmericInn Lodge & Suites
504 SE 10th St
219 N Highland
Other hotels for consideration:
Watercrest Hotel and Conference Center (22 miles, west of Madison)
103 S Main St
Quality Inn & Suites (46 miles, located off I-29)
5410 N Granite Lane
Sioux Falls, SD
Sheraton Sioux Falls & Convention Center (50 miles, near the airport)
1211 West Avenue North
Sioux Falls, SD