Dakota State University students walking around campus

Preparation + opportunity = success

That's the DSU equation. We're a four-year university with nationally recognized programs, cutting-edge facilities, and the brightest thinkers. But we're also a tight-knit, inclusive community. Small class sizes mean hands-on training and individualized attention. All this with an affordable, public school price that's among the best values in the region.

Read More

Exemption Accommodation Policies

While the South Dakota Board of Regents requires all unmarried students taking six credit hours or more to live on-campus during the first two years of school, some students may be granted an exemption based on needs.

To apply for a housing exemption/accommodation, choose the type of exemption you need below for more instructions.

As our exemptions/accommodations require signed and verified documents that can take time to gather, please note that the deadline for submitting a medical exemption/accommodation request is July 14 for the upcoming fall semester and December 3 for the upcoming spring semester. These same deadlines apply for financial hardship exemption requests as well. 

Medical exemption/accommodation

Applicants requesting an exemption:

  • To live off-campus
  • Accommodation to be placed in single occupancy on-campus housing
  • Placement in a specific location

Students must complete and return a housing exemption/accommodation form to the Residence Life office. To be considered for a housing exemption, the university requires specific diagnostic information from a licensed health care provider. Documentation from a health care provider does not, by itself, guarantee approval of the request. All submitted requests will be reviewed by the campus Housing Exemption/Accommodation Committee. A representative from the committee will contact the student, likely via e-mail, to inform them of the committee’s decision in a timely manner.

Exemption/Accomodation Form

Financial hardship exemption

Applicants requesting release from the housing requirement based on verifiable extenuating circumstances must complete and return a supplemental financial need verification form to the Residence Life office. Releases are not based upon the assertion that living off campus may be cheaper. A release will be considered when the applicant has a significant verified need for financial aid as defined by the personnel of the DSU Financial Aid office, and that need is not fully funded by university financial aid, OR when financial circumstances are created by situations over which you have no control (such as a loss of parental support due to death, divorce, loss of employment, catastrophic health issues, bankruptcy) which create a financial hardship.

Financial Need Verification Form

What if I have allergies or asthma?

Dakota State University offers multiple housing options for students. All halls are smoke-free and three of our five residence halls have room-to-room air conditioning.  All public areas are vacuumed every day and all lavatories are cleaned and disinfected daily. Annually, air filters in student rooms are replaced and central ventilation filters are changed biannually. Therefore, requests due to allergies/asthma will only be considered if there are extenuating circumstances. Students are welcome to bring air purifier equipment, etc. if they have a desire or need to do so.

What if I have ADHD or a learning disability?

Single rooms are not assigned based on a need for a quiet study space due to a diagnosis of ADHD or learning disability. Study areas within residence halls, academic study areas, and the campus library are alternative places where students can study.


Residence Life
(605) 256-5146