Exemption/Accommodation Policies

Seeking an exemption / accommodation

To apply for a housing exemption/accommodation, choose the type of exemption you need below for more instructions.

As our exemptions/accommodations require signed and verified documents that can take time to gather, please note that the deadline for submitting a medical exemption/accommodation request is July 14 for the upcoming fall semester and December 3 for the upcoming spring semester.

Questions? Contact residence life at 605-256-5146.

Types of exemptions / accommodations

Medical exemption/accommodation

Applicants requesting an exemption to live off campus or an accommodation to be placed in single occupancy on-campus housing must obtain a request for housing exemption/accommodation form from the Residence Life office or access it from the residence life webpage. The University requires specific diagnostic information from a licensed health care provider.  Documentation from a health care provider does not, by itself, guarantee approval of the request. All submitted forms will be reviewed by  personnel from the disability services branch of the DSU Student Success Center. Ultimately, the campus Housing Exemption/Accommodation Committee, through consultation with personnel from the Student Success Center, will finalize a decision and inform the student.

Financial hardship exemption

Applicants requesting release from the housing requirement based on verifiable extenuating circumstances must obtain a supplemental financial need verification form from the Residence Life office or the residence life webpage. Releases are not based upon the assertion that living off campus may be cheaper. A release will be considered when the applicant has a significant verified need for financial aid as defined by the personnel of the DSU Financial Aid office and that need is not fully funded by university financial aid OR when financial circumstances are created by situations over which you have no control (such as a loss of parental support due to death, divorce, loss of employment, catastrophic health issues, bankruptcy) which create a financial hardship.