Residence Halls

DSU Students Lounging on Campus

Living on campus.

When we talk about “residence halls,” we’re really talking about dorm rooms. So why the fancy terminology? A Residence Hall is a vibrant community with programs specifically designed to assist in the student’s educational, social, and personal development.

Who lives in the halls?

We’ve found that students who live on campus are more involved and see greater success. As a public university, we must also comply with the SD Board of Regent’s housing requirements. Those requirements state: during the first two years from the time they were or would have been graduated from high school, all unmarried students who enroll in six credit hours or more are required to enter into a housing agreement and designated meal plan for the specific living environment with the institution unless special permission to room or dine elsewhere is received from the institution. Permission ordinarily shall be granted to students with dependent children, to students who reside full time during the academic year with parents or legal guardians, or students enrolled primarily at off-campus locations. Students who have enrolled for twelve or more credits for four (4) semesters may be exempted from this agreement at the discretion of the institution. Institutions may also grant exemptions for students when residence hall occupancy exceeds manageable capacity.

If you need to seek an exemption, see our exemption policies.

If you have any questions or concerns about our housing policy or need to seek an exemption, please feel free to contact us online or at 605-256-5146.

How do I get assigned as a first year student?

As part of your housing application, you’ll fill out an interest form. Our our office will take this information and work to assign individuals who have similar interests. We’ll also assign you to one of the freshmen halls. Students in their 2nd year or above, as well as transfer students, will be assigned to halls designated for upper-class students. 

If you know someone who will be enrolling at DSU, you can also choose them as your roommate. Simply indicate this on your housing contract form and be sure that you and your prospective roommate request each other.

  • First year in college students may only request other first year in college students
  • Second year or above students in college may only request other second year or above students
  • Students assigned to the Honor’s floors may only request other students assigned to the Honor’s floors