Rendering of the proposed new Blankley Field at Dakota State University..

Legacy Lives On

New athletics complex named after DSU Coach George Blankley. The Trojans Unite campaign will focus on several areas, one of those key areas being athletic facilities.

Read More

Honoring the Past. Rising to the Future.

Celebrating 140 years of DSU.

When Dakota State University opened in 1881, we were a school known for teacher education.

Now, 140 years later, we are one of the top schools in the nation for cybersecurity. With over 80 degrees and programs, our Trojans continue to rise in the fields of computer and cyber sciences, business and information systems, arts and sciences, as well as education.

140 Years at Dakota State: From Foundation to Rising

Take a look back at Dakota State University’s 140 years, from its Foundation to its Rising.

Research students at DSU

We are dedicated. We are determined. We are driven.

Students, faculty, and staff are endlessly creating, innovating, and collaborating through technology, research, and real-world experiences. Our Trojans have endless opportunities to prepare themselves for life-changing careers, with a technological advantage.

xxx

We are dynamic. We are distinctive. We are disciplined.

Active learning, expert teaching, and innovative technology are just part of the DSU experience. Additionally, we have 13 NAIA athletic teams, 35 student-led clubs and organizations, and provide scholarships to Trojans all different backgrounds and locations.

Throughout 140 years, Dakota State University has seen a lot of change, but one thing remains the same.

Our Trojan Pride is greater than ever.

Young trees Line Washington Avenue and the campus green after Arbor Day tree plantings.

Arbor Day History

In 1887, 400 trees were planted on campus for Arbor Day; in 1898, 2,000 more were planted by townspeople. The tradition continues to this day.

All four campus buildings had electric lights, courtesy the power house (center).

Let There Be Light

By 1914, there were four buildings on campus, and all had electric lights, courtesy the campus central heating plant, called the Power House.

The 1996 Student Senate posed for a group photo.

The Student Voice

The first Student Senate was organized in 1924-25, to offer a student voice in matters pertaining to student problems confronting the administration of the school.


One of the earliest photos of Dakota State, the state’s first normal school.

And So it Began

On March 5, 1881, the Territorial Legislature passed the Normal Bill, establishing Madison State Normal School. Students had to be at least 16 years old.

The Garden Theater was located on the site where the Madison Cyber Labs now sits.

Garden Party

In 1923, the Garden Theater was built on the west side of campus. It could hold 2,000 people for graduations and other events, weather pending.

Music has long been heard at DSU, with groups including the 1903 school band.

Music in the Air

In 1954, George Smith donated the Deagan Celesa Chimes. They were replaced in 1983 by Schulmerich Quadrabell Chimes, donated by Della Cassutt and Ed Marquart.


Dakota State Mascots

Dakota State Mascots

In 1922, the athletic teams were called “Warriors,” or Teachers. The name “Trojans” came from a 1928 contest, won by Ray Kellogg ‘31.

 The campus training laboratory school burned in 1963.

Campus School Burns

On January 19, 1963, the campus school was destroyed by fire. Built in 1917, it had been used as a teacher-in-training laboratory facility.

Two players on the 1966-67 basketball team tower over one of the cheerleaders.

Winning Team

In 1966-1967, the Trojan basketball team compiled the best record in school history, with 20 wins and 6 losses in the season.


Alumna Gertrude Gill taught English for over 30 years.

Knowledgeable Faculty

In 1936, faculty member Gertrude Gill wrote a curriculum book titled “How to Teach Poetry.” The Karl Mundt Library has several copies, some available for checkout.

In 1888, the Commercial Department (business training) was introduced. It was housed on third floor of Beadle Hall, with a skylight for good lighting.

It’s Our Business

In 1888, the Commercial Department (business training) was introduced. It was housed on third floor of Beadle Hall, with a skylight for good lighting.

On February 29, 1984, the state legislature passed a bill changing DSU’s mission to include instruction of computer-related technology in all majors.

Transformative Mission Change

On February 29, 1984, the state legislature passed a bill changing DSU’s mission to include instruction of computer-related technology in all majors.


Celebrating 140 years

A statue of General Beadle sits on the DSU campus, in the shadow the building that bears his name, Beadle Hall.

DSU professor uncovers insight into former president’s past

General Beadle was an abolitionist, who spent time serving as a messenger for the underground railroad. Read more on General Beadle in Dr. Justin Blessinger's article, “South Dakota's Civil War Veterans - General William H.H. Beadle: Rider for the Underground Railroad.”

Slate board donated to Kennedy Hall.

Slate board comes home to Kennedy Hall

Teachers have influenced generations of students, using whatever technology was available to them. Today that is cyber; in the early days of DSU it was slate boards. A new “old school” display of a slate board from the original Kennedy Hall will show students what tools their predecessors used for teaching.

More news