Rendering of the proposed new Blankley Field at Dakota State University..

Legacy Lives On

New football field named after DSU Coach George Blankley. The Trojans Unite campaign will focus on several areas, one of those key areas being athletic facilities.

Read More

History

The story of DSU

Dakota State University was founded in 1881 as a school for teacher education in the Dakota Territory. Our strong programs, Trojan pride, and innovative ways have allowed us to become one of the most technologically advanced campuses in the Midwest. From the very first graduating class to the latest, our Trojans graduate knowing that their degree comes from a university with a rich past and promising future.

1880’s

Old photograph of the Dakota State Normal School in the 1800's
Photograph of the Dakota State Normal School back in the 1800's.
  • 1881 – Dakota State University is located in the ancestral territory of the Oceti Sakowin, an alliance made up of the Isanti, Ihanktunwan, and Titunwan. Today, these peoples are represented by the nine federally recognized tribes of South Dakota: The Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, Crow Creek Sioux Tribe, Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe, Lower Brule Sioux Tribe, Oglala Sioux Tribe, Rosebud Sioux Tribe, Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate, Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, and the Yankton Sioux Tribe. Dakota Normal School at Madison, Dakota Territory was authorized by Territorial Legislature on March 5. The school utilized 20 acres of land donated by Mr. C.B. Kennedy. The deed stipulated if the land were ever used for anything but its original intent (a teacher’s preparation institution) or discontinued, the site would be returned to the Kennedy estate.

  • 1883 – started with 11 enrolled on December 5, with Professor Charles S. Richardson, first President (1883-1887). Classes were held in local buildings.
  • 1884 – Appropriations secured, and construction begins on first college building – 50 x 70 feet, three stories, wood-frame structure. Enrollment was up to 70.
  • 1885 – School moved into a new wooden building with 107 students. The Normal School’s first graduating class had 2 students. Model School was established for teacher’s education one of the first laboratory schools in the nation. West Hall Dormitory was built, it was 36 x 86 feet and housed 70 students.
  • 1885 -- The first graduating class consisted of two students.
  • 1886 -- Beadle Hall opened in September of 1886. It is the oldest building in the state still used for its original purpose.
  • 1886 – The school’s classroom building burned to the ground three months after it was completed.
  • 1887 – William F. Gorrie, President (1887-1889), second President.
  • 1887 -- 400 trees were planted on campus for Arbor Day.
  • 1888 --The Commercial Department (business training) was introduced. It was housed on the third floor of Beadle Hall, with a skylight for good lighting.
  • 1889 – South Dakota gained statehood in February. All state institutions are placed under the Board of Regents (BOR). General William Henry Harrison Beadle became the third President (1889-1905). 191 Student enrollment in Normal Dept.

1890’s

  • 1892 – “The Oyaka” was the first college paper (September 1892). The name was derived from the Dakota Indians, meaning, “messenger of herald”.
  • 1895 – Three-year elementary course was extended to four years and the first-year elementary courses were extended to one and a half years of attendance.
  • 1898 - The first summer school sessions were introduced at the normal school. Eight-week sessions were offered to the students.
  • 1898 - 2,000 trees were planted by townspeople.

1900’s

President Beadle
General William Henry Harrison Beadle became the third President (1889-1905).

  • 1901 – President Beadle went on a year’s sick leave to regain his health. Professor William W. Girton was selected as Acting President (1901-1902).
  • 1901 - East Hall was built as a women’s dormitory in 1901. The granite building was heated by steam and lighted with incandescent electric lamps.
  • 1902 – President Beadle returns as President. First graduating class to wear cap and gowns. Name changes to Madison State Normal School.
  • 1904 – East Wing (later called Kennedy Hall) was constructed, made of Dell Rapids’ granite.
  • 1905 – The first year the “Anemone” (college yearbook) was published. President Beadle retires as president, but stays on as a professor of history, until 1912 when he retired. John W. Heston, President (1905-1920).
  • 1905 – At this time, property, buildings, and equipment were valued at $140,000.
  • 1909 – The long-abandoned West Hall was torn down to make way for the Science Hall, now the Tunheim Classroom Building.  
  • 1914 – By this date, there were four buildings on campus, and all had electric lights courtesy of the campus central heating plant, called the Power House.

1910’s

  • 1910 – Erection of Science Hall (gymnasium, later called Women’s Gym and Performing Art Center), now called Performing Arts Center.
  • 1912 – First year of inter-collegiate athletic competition.
  • 1917 – Campus Laboratory School built. It was a one-story brick building with a basement. It was an excellent teacher-in-training laboratory facility.

1920’s

  • 1920 – Bela M. Lawrence was appointed as Acting President (February to July 1921). Edgar C. Higbee (1920-1931) was selected as President in 1920 but didn’t take office until the fall of 1921. Madison Community Hospital (Heston Hall) was opened to the public on August 1, 1920.
  • 1921 - Edgar C. Higbee (1920-1931) took office in the fall of 1921. Name of Eastern State Normal School officially adopted. The state of South Dakota acquires houses and lots to be used for dormitory purposes (overflow from East Hall). It was named “Girton House” after W.W. Girton, who began his work here in 1896 as a secretary and instructor, and later as Professor William W. Girton, was selected as Acting President (1901-1902).
  • 1922 – Pioneer Day inaugurated (homecoming day). Kappa Sigma Iota was organized. A student health service was organized with R.S. Westaby as the first school doctor. He was also one of the hospital administrators.
  • 1922 - The athletic teams were called “Warriors,” or Teachers. The name “Trojans” came from a 1928 contest, won by Ray Kellogg ‘31.
  • 1923 – Pioneer Day changed to Eastern Frontier Day
  • 1923 - The Garden Theater was built on the west side of campus for $5,000. It could hold 2,000 people for graduations and other events, weather pending. This is now the site of the Madison Cyber Labs.
  • 1924 - The first Student Senate was organized in 1924-25, to offer a student voice in matters pertaining to student problems confronting the administration of the school.
  • 1925 – Eastern Frontier Day changed to Eastern Day
  • 1927 – Name changed to Eastern State Teacher’s College. The first football game was played on the campus athletic field
  • 1929 - Senior student Barrett Lowe’s film “Dacotah” debuted on October 19, 1929. It was the first all-college picture of its kind filmed in the US.

1930’s

  • 1931 – E.A. Bixler, Acting President (1931-1933). Eastern State Normal School dropped back to a two-year college.
  • 1933 – V.A. Lowry, President (1933-1962).
  • 1936 - Faculty member Gertrude Gill wrote a curriculum book titled “How to Teach Poetry.” The Karl Mundt Library has several copies, some available for checkout. 
  • 1937 – Statue of General W.H.H. Beadle erected on Campus – contribution from alumni, faculty, and friends.
  • 1937 & 1938 – Beadle Centennial Celebration, sponsored by the South Dakota Education Association.

1940’s

  • 1941 – A sundial in memory of Claude Tyrrell, superintendent of buildings was put up on campus, a year after he suffered a fatal accident while on duty.
  • 1945 – The Homecoming football game was played with two all-female teams, as there were not enough men back on campus after the war to field a team.
  • 1946 – Eastern State Normal School returned to a four-year degree program.
  • 1947 – Name changed to General Beadle State Teachers College.

1950’s

Kennedy Hall
Kennedy Hall is now the Kennedy Center.

  • 1954 - George Smith donated the Deagan Celesa Chimes.
  • 1955 – East Wing was renamed Kennedy Hall in honor of C.B. Kennedy, the donor of the original 20-acre college site. “Kennedy Hall” sign donated as a memorial to Mr. Ernie MacDonald, who served as East Hall steward for many years. Eastern Day was renamed Tutor Day.
  • 1957 – 24.81 acres of additional land was purchased for expansion of the college, three blocks north of the present campus.
  • 1958 - Lowry Hall (for men) was completed, named after former President V.A. Lowry. Property, buildings, and equipment were valued at almost $3million.

1960’s

The General Beadle memorial statue
The General Beadle memorial statue, located in the heart of campus.

  • 1960 – Memorial Gym (the Fieldhouse) was completed, built in conjunction with the National Guard.
  • 1961 – Lake County Historical Museum built on campus and donated to the State of SD by George G. Smith and Lillian Zimmerman - $75,000 initial donation; $16,000 additional.
  • 1962 – Dr. Laurence Samuel Flaum, President (1962-1967).
  • 1963 – Campus School (Beadle High School) was destroyed by fire in January, leaving 350 students without a school.
  • 1964 – Name of College changed to General Beadle State College. Zimmermann Hall was built.
  • 1965 – Trojan Center and Higbee Hall were built.
  • 1966 -- In 1966-1967, the Trojan basketball team compiled the best record in school history, with 20 wins and 6 losses in the season.
  • 1967 – Dr. Harry Pitkin Bowes, President (1967-1971).
  • 1968 – New Trojan Field built north of the main campus.
  • 1969 – Name changed to Dakota State College. Karl E. Mundt Library was dedicated in June, with President Richard Nixon here for the dedication.

1970’s

  • 1970 – Richardson Hall built
  • 1971 & 1972 – Dr. Allen R. Miller, Interim President
  • 1971 – Heston Hall, the former Madison Hospital, was ready for use after renovation.
  • 1972 – Ruth C. Habeger Science Center built
  • 1972 to 1974 – Dr. Francis Gordon, Foster President (1972-1974)
    Dr. Richard Bowen, President (1974-1978)
    Dr. Carrol Krause, Provost
  • 1975 – Health Information Management program began.
  • 1977 – Dr. Charles Lein, President
  • 1978 to 1983 – Dr. Carleton M. Opgaard, President

1980’s

  • 1980 – KDSU broadcast system on campus began.
  • 1983 – The Deagan Celesa Chimes were replaced in 1983 by Schulmerich Quadrabell Chimes, donated by Della Cassutt and Ed Marquart
  • 1983 – Kennedy Hall closed as a portion of the east wall was damaged by lightning. 
  • 1984 – On February 29, 1984, the state legislature passed a bill changing DSU’s mission to include instruction of computer-related technology in all majors.
  • 1984 – Dr. Richard J. Gowen, President (1984-1987)
  • 1987 – Dr. Jerald A. Tunheim, President (1987-2004)
  • 1987 – New Kennedy Center dedicated on October 16.
  • 1989 – Name changed to Dakota State University

1990’s

  • 1991 – Dakota Prairie Playhouse completed to serve as a theater/conference center.
  • 1998 – Dr. David Cook resigned as Academic Vice President. Cecelia Wittmeyer took on duties as interim Academic Vice President. YAHOO magazine recognized DSU as 12th in the nation for being wired.
  • 1998 – Dr. G. Donald Montgomery donated money to DSU to construct a parking lot between Heston Hall and the President’s home named, “The Marian James Montgomery Memorial Plaza,” “The Donald James Montgomery Memorial,” and “The Montgomery Lounge”.

2000’s

Student profile photo who was eligible for the Champion Scholarship
New high school students applying to Dakota State University may be eligible for the Champion or DSU Rising academic scholarships automatically, as part of the application process.

  • 2000 – YAHOO magazine recognized DSU as 9th in the nation for being wired.
  • 2000 – Madison Community Center opens, a joint recreation building for use by campus and the Madison community.
  • 2000 – The Master of Science in Education in Computer Education & Technology accredited by the NCA.
  • 2001 -- 97 courses were offered by distance education.
  • 2001 – Eight-Plex housing built north of campus.
  • 2002 – DSU is the first state university in South Dakota to have multiple-building wireless technology.
  • 2003 – DSU Champion Scholarships are started. The original idea was a $1,000 scholarship, awarded based on an incoming freshman’s ACT and high school GPA and renewable for four years if he/she maintained a certain GPA in college.
  • 2004 – The NSA and DHS designate DSU as a Center of Academic Excellence in computer security.
  • 2004 – Dr. Jerald Tunheim retires after 17 years as President and is succeeded by Dr. Doug Knowlton.
  • 2004 – DSU goes completely wireless across campus. Incoming freshman and full-time sophomore students receive Gateway M275 tablet PC computers.
  • 2005 – DSU installs the Walk of Honor on the west edge of campus to honor donors.
  • 2005 – Doctors of Science degree in information systems approved by Board of Regents (BOR).
  • 2006 – DSU celebrates its 125th year with a series of celebrations throughout the year that brings alumni back to campus. The university also published a commemorative book.
  • 2006 – DSU ranked #1 public baccalaureate college in the Midwest in the annual US News & World Report survey.
  • 2009 – The Tunheim Classroom Building is dedicated in September. Named for Jerald Tunheim, DSU’s 20th president who served from 1987-2004.
  • 2009 – DSU established the Center for the Advancement of Health Information Technology (CAHIT).

2010’s

Rendering of DSU Trojan Athletic Complex and Events Center
First PREMIER Bank/PREMIER Bankcard, along with Miles and Lisa Beacom, made a lead gift of $10 million towards the Trojans Unite capital campaign.
  • 2010 – DSU’s Doug Knowlton becomes the first president of a public university in South Dakota to have an active Twitter account.
  • 2012 – Dr. Knowlton leaves and is replaced by Dr. David Borofsky (2012-2014).
  • 2013 – DSU receives a $5 million gift from Miles Beacom and T. Denny Sanford. At the time, the gift was intended to help renovate the current Madison Community Hospital into what was going to be the Beacom Institute of Technology building. It was the largest private gift in the school’s history.
  • 2014 – Dr. Maryz Rames becomes interim president (2014-2015).
  • 2014 – DSU receives a $5 million gift from Miles Beacom and T. Denny Sanford. The money was used to establish the Beacom Institute of Technology. This was the largest private gift in the school’s history.
  • 2014 – DSU receives $5 million gift…. DELETE – is a duplication of the 2013 entry.
  • 2015 – Dr. José-Marie Griffiths becomes the 23rd DSU President.
  • 2017 – Trojan Center, LEC remodel; Beacom Institute of Technology building opens.
  • 2017 – DSU hosts a celebration to mark the opening of the Beacom Institute of Technology, featuring country music star Jake Owen.
  • 2017 – Miles and Lisa Beacom and T. Denny Sanford announce a $30 million gift to Dakota State that will be used to construct MadLabs®, provide for scholarships, develop programs, and for faculty and staff development.
  • 2018 – Lowry Hall is demolished to make room for the new Madison Cyber Labs construction.
  • 2018 – The statue of General Beadle is moved from its location near Lowry hall, where it has been since 1933. The move is in preparation for the demolition of Lowry Hall. The statue was temporarily placed in storage, along with the WWII memorial. Both will be relocated.
  • 2019 – Campus Watch was created to increase a campus security presence during the evening hours and provide safety chaperons to students, staff, and faculty members. Each shift includes two employees who carry a cellphone and flashlight and also wear identifiable shirts and coats.
  • 2019 – Dakota State joins the collegiate world of Esports. Esports is a non-seasonal sport in which video games are played. There is a junior varsity and varsity team. Tryouts are required and scholarships are available.
  • 2019 – March 22, 2019 – DSU carries out their first “DSU Giving Day.” This day was a 24-hour giving campaign that inspires alumni, students, friends, faculty and staff, and supporters to Rise UP together, show pride in their alma mater, and provide essential funding to support current and future students.
  • 2019 – Dr. Clyde Brashier becomes the first inductee into the DSU Academic Hall of Fame.
  • 2019 – The South Dakota Advantage is a tuition program that state public universities offer new freshman and new transfer students from Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, and Colorado. They can now get a tuition rate equivalent to the resident undergraduate rate.
  • 2019 – Dakota State introduces two new telepresence robots, Dewey and Cosmo. These robots allow students, faculty, or staff to remotely attend meetings or classes.
  • 2019 – First PREMIER Bank/PREMIER Bankcard, along with Miles and Lisa Beacom, made a lead gift of $10 million towards the Trojans Unite capital campaign. This gift launched the $42 million Phase I portion of the campaign, which will feature a new two-story concourse and outdoor facilities.
  • 2019 – The Karl Mundt Library celebrates the 50th anniversary of its dedication.
  • 2019 – The General Beadle statue is placed in its permanent home near the Tunheim Classroom building and the WWII Memorial is placed just south of the campus rose garden.
  • 2019 – The Madison Cyber Labs (MadLabs®) is formally dedicated on October 2, 2019. MadLabs® will provide faculty, students, and researchers with space, technology, and infrastructure to support exploration in cyber-related areas.
  • 2020 – Miss America visits campus; DSU has become a sponsor of the organization, offering scholarships to study STEM.

  • 2020 – Campus moves to all online classes for the spring semester, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

  • 2020 – DSU student researchers confirm Aphanomyces (root rot) in alfalfa in South Dakota.

  • 2020 – Dakota State and Sanford Health announce a CyberHealth Strategic Alliance, to partner on innovation and research, and create workforce and economic development opportunities.

  • 2021 – The University welcomed a new mascot to the Trojan Family, General Cyber.

  • 2021 – DSU opens the Entrepreneurial Building and Paulson Cyber Incubator and Entrepreneurial Center.

  • 2021 – DSU launches “Cyberology” podcast.