Not your typical four-year university.
DSU was founded in 1881 as a school for teacher education in the Dakota Territory. Today, we're one of the most technologically-advanced campuses in the Midwest. A public university, we are governed by the South Dakota System Board of Regents and accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
We specialize in computer management, computer information systems, and other related undergraduate and graduate programs. We stay true to our roots by placing special emphasis on the preparation of teachers with expertise in the use of computer technology in the teaching and learning process. We have more than 45 majors to choose from, plus a robust graduate program.
Our total enrollment for Fall 2018 was 3,382.
On campus and online, we work to keep class sizes small. The student–faculty ratio is just 17.4:1. For students who can’t make it to our main campus, we offer courses online or through University Center - Sioux Falls.
DSU is a member of the North Star Athletic Association (NSAA), a division of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA). Our mascots are the DSU Trojans, and we’re represented by twelve sports teams. Learn more about our athletics programs.
DSU provides learning that integrates technology and innovation to develop graduates ready to contribute to local, national, and global prosperity.
Building upon its distinctive mission, DSU will become:
- The university of choice for those seeking a student-centered institution that offers innovative programs grounded in teaching, research, technology, scholarship, and service excellence.
- An academic community that serves as an economic engine in local, national, and global markets.
- A campus recognized for its achievements in continuous quality improvement.
- Student success.
- University-wide Excellence.
- Distinction in Teaching, Scholarship, and Service.
- Academic Freedom and Integrity.
- Diversity, Respect, and Inclusion.
- Continuous Improvement.
- Community, Collaboration, and Communication.
- Technology and Innovation inside and outside the classroom.