We can help you make college affordable.
A college education is a great investment in your future. We offer a private-school education at a public-school price, which makes DSU a smart investment for any student.
We’re committed to making college affordable for all students—in fact, 74% of our students receive financial aid. And in the 2015-2016 school year, we awarded an average of $10,390 per student.
How much does DSU cost?
How do I apply for financial aid?
Financial aid can be tricky stuff—but we’ve done what we can to make it as easy as possible. These steps will walk you through filling out your FAFSA (Free Application for Student Federal Aid) online and beyond.
You need to complete a FAFSA in order to receive federal financial aid of any kind, including grants, work study, and federal loans.
- First, apply for admission to DSU. You must be accepted to DSU in order to receive a financial aid award letter.
- In order to fill out your FAFSA online, both you and a parent will need to create an FSA ID at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm. You’ll need the FSA ID in order to sign your FAFSA online and access other federal student aid sites.
- Collect the documents required by the FAFSA, including income tax returns, W-2 forms, etc.
- Complete the FAFSA online. You can submit the FAFSA as early as October 1st using tax information from the prior-prior year. DSU’s FAFSA School Code is 003463. We recommend using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to report your income tax figures.
- Complete the applications for any scholarships you may qualify for.
- You’ll get a SAR (Student Aid Report) after filling out your FAFSA. Review it, and if any changes need to be made, make them and resubmit it. Your complete, correct SAR will contain your EFC (expected family contribution). Your EFC is the number used to determine your federal student aid eligibility.
- If you are selected for federal verification, you’ll receive information from the Enrollment Service Center in Vermillion, SD, on which forms to submit. Be sure to provide the requested documents as soon as you can.
- If you are eligible for financial aid, we’ll send you an award letter packet. This usually happens in mid-April. Be sure to complete, sign, and return it to us along with any other documents we request at that time.