Campus building and landscape with daffodils in the foreground.

Is DSU the right fit for you?

Our website can tell you only so much about our beautiful campus and innovative programs. The best way to find out if DSU is right for you is to see for yourself!

Visit Our Campus

Before Registration

What’s next? You’ve signed up for your registration appointment, but there are few things to make sure you have taken care of to make sure the rest of your registration and admission process run smoothly. Read through our checklist to make sure you are ready for your registration appointment.


If you haven’t already, these items will need to be sent to Dakota State to complete your admission file:

  • Official high school transcript
  • Official college transcript (not required if courses were taken from any public university in South Dakota)
  • ACT and/or SAT scores
  • Advanced Placement (AP) exam scores
  • CLEP (College Level Examination Program) exam scores
  • Immunization records – two doses of MMR are required for on-campus students

To complete your admission file. You can mail them to the address below, or view your missing items and load unofficial copies directly in your DSU Application Portal.

DSU Office of Admission 
820 N. Washington Ave. 
Madison, SD 57042 
(605) 256-5139
(888) DSU-9988

Looking for financial assistance for your DSU education?

  • Apply for federal financial aid by completing the FASFA (FREE Application for Federal Student Aid) at
  • Your financial aid award letter will arrive in the mail and will include:
    • Award letter
    • Financial aid award guide
    • Steps to complete financial aid award
  • Read the award letter carefully and accept or reject each type of aid awarded
    • Return completed award letter to the financial aid office
  • Eligibility for financial aid varies by family income and assets, this means that what you have been awarded may not cover the entire balance due
  • Consider additional financing options outlined in the Financial Aid Award Guide 

Financial Aid Disbursement:

  • Federal financial aid, DSU Foundation scholarship funds, and state scholarship funds will be disbursed to your account electronically at the beginning of each semester
  • The disbursement of private scholarship funds or outside grants is controlled by the donor or outside agency
  • Students may request temporary deferral of payment of these funds to the student account if the award is documented

Commitment Process:

  • If you have applied to more than one public university in South Dakota you will need to decide at which university you plan to earn your degree
  • You will be sent a notice via your DSU email account requesting that you commit to one university
  • Commitment is required for financial aid to be applied to your tuition and fee charges

DSU Office of Financial Aid
(605) 256-5152


One of the best ways to help pay for school is through scholarships. Get started by checking out our available scholarships.


Roommate assignments

Roommate assignments will be delivered to your DSU email account.

  • Have a specific roommate in mind? Rooming requests made by both parties are accepted
  • Reach out to your roommate and start collaborating on room décor
  • What to bring/what not to bring list

Housing Contract & Deposit

If you plan to live on campus you will want to make sure you complete your housing contract and submit your $50 housing deposit.

Housing contract

To request off campus housing contact our Residence Life department at or (605) 256-5146.


Your DSU meal plan includes:

  • Residential dining in the Marketplace
  • Meal Plan Flex - redeemable at Einstein Bros. Bagels, C-Store, the Marketplace, and vending and concession stands

Meal Plan access/funding is non-transferrable from semester to semester. Meal Plan Flex funds are transferrable from the fall to spring semesters, but not from year to year.

Select your meal Plan - Contract

DSU Card Services
(605) 256-5225

Dining Services

Submit your ID Photo prior to registration day. This ID Card Photo link will you through the instructions and process to submit your ID photo yourself.

Trojan ID card uses:

  • Access to:
    • Residence halls
    • Marketplace (DSU Dining Plan)
    • Karl E. Mundt Library
    • Community Center
    • A variety of student activities and events
  • Trojan Silver – make purchases at on and off-campus vendors through the Trojan Silver program
  • Online eAccount: manage account, add funds, or freeze your account if your card is lost or stolen
Upload your ID Card Photo

DSU Card Services
(605) 256-5225

To use your GI Bill to help assist in the cost of education, you will need to apply for your GI Bill through the VA. Once you have completed your application please save your confirmation page. This could take up to 30+ Days to process the application at the VA, but once it is processed you will receive your Certificate of Eligibility that will state if you have been approved or denied benefits. Please provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to DSU Veteran Affairs Office.

How to Apply

Service members should submit their military transcripts:

  • Joint Service Transcript
    • Army, Navy, Marine
  • Community College of the Air Force
    • Air Force
  • Utilize GI Bill or Tuition Assistance while enrolled at DSU

Programs for Veterans

Check out our General Beadle Honors Program. It’s a comprehensive honors program combining academic, extra-curricular, leadership, and service activities. You get to:

  • Enroll in honors classes
  • Build a professional network
  • Engage in a living/learning community
  • Gain great academic stability

General Beadle Honors Program

Our counseling center helps students with any 504 and/or IEP plans. Our DSU Strong program assists students on the autism spectrum. We also have mental health counselors and resources for you if you are struggling in classes, experiencing relationship issues, or are concerned by your substance use or someone else’s, Dakota State counseling is here for you.

Counseling Center